The USGS Earthquake Notification Service (ENS) is a free service that sends you automated notification emails when earthquakes happen in your area. The ENS website has detailed directions about signing up for the notification.
New accounts receive, by default, all earthquakes with magnitude 6.0 or greater; you can subsequently customize these settings to better fit your needs. You can receive earthquake notifications for any earthquakes located by the ANSS/NEIC (Advanced National Seismic System/National Earthquake Information Center) in the U.S. and around the World. Information for earthquakes in the U.S. is generally available within 5 minutes; information for earthquakes elsewhere in the World is generally available within 30 minutes.
The USGS Earthquake Hazards Program is part of the National Earthquake Hazards Reduction Program (NEHRP), established by Congress in 1977. They monitor and report earthquakes, assess earthquake impacts and hazards, and research the causes and effects of earthquake.
- USGS Earthquake Notification Service (ENS) – Website: https://sslearthquake.usgs.gov/ens/
- USGS Earthquake Notification Service (ENS) – Directions to sign up for notifications: https://sslearthquake.usgs.gov/ens/help
- Image Source: https://sslearthquake.usgs.gov/ens/ [Accessed August 16, 2013]
- USGS Earthquake Hazards Program: http://earthquake.usgs.gov/
- USGS Real-time Earthquake Map Website – http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/map/
- Image Source: http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/map/ [Accessed August 16, 2013]