Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC’s) Health Alert Network (HAN)is CDC’s primary method of sharing cleared information about urgent public health incidents with public information officers; federal, state, territorial, and local public health practitioners; clinicians; and public health laboratories.
CDC’s HAN collaborates with federal, state, territorial, and city/county partners to develop protocols and stakeholder relationships that will ensure a robust interoperable platform for the rapid distribution of public health information. The HAN messaging system directly and indirectly transmits Health Alerts, Advisories, Updates, and Info Services to over one million recipients. The Health Alert Network (HAN) message types are:
Health Alerts provide vital, time-sensitive information for a specific incident or situation; warrants immediate action or attention by health officials, laboratorians, clinicians, and members of the public; and conveys the highest level of importance.
CDC Web Example: HAN00001
Health Advisories provide important information for a specific incident or situation; contains recommendations or actionable items to be performed by public health officials, laboratorians, and/or clinicians; may not require immediate action.
CDC Web Example: HAN00346
Health Updates provide updated information regarding an incident or situation; unlikely to require immediate action.
CDC Web Example: HAN00342
Info Services provide general public health information; unlikely to require immediate action.
CDC Web Example: HAN00345
- Go to the CDC – Quick Subscribe GovDelivery page.
- Enter your e-mail address and delivery preferences and click Save.
- Select the Emergency Preparedness and Response / Health Alert Network (HAN) check box from the Quick Subscribe window and click Save.
- Select your state from the state drop-down list box.
- Enter your five-digit zip code in the zip code text box.
- Select your country from the country drop-down list box and click Save.
Once you complete theses steps, you will receive HAN alerts by e-mail when new HANs are distributed.