Winter storms, snow, windchill, frost, ice and extreme cold are a coast-to-coast threat to the United States and its territories. Even Hawaii gets snow on its Big Island and frost is a major threat to crops in Southern states. Major cities as far south as Atlanta and Dallas have been paralyzed by snow and ice.
Extreme cold is a relative term. In Miami it is defined very differently than in Fairbanks. Learn how to stay safe in a winter storm or in abnormally cold weather for your area. If you know what to do before, during, and after a winter event, you can increase your chances of survival.
Winter Weather Tips and Resources
- 2016-17 Winter Weather Outlook
- Winter Safety Information Graphics
- Weather Prediction Center Winter Weather Forecasts
- NOAA Weather Radio All Hazards
- National Operational Hydrologic Remote Sensing Center, NOAA Snow Information Source
- NOAA Snow and Ice Information
- Weather Awareness Safety Events in Your State