NWS Emergency Ready – New Year’s Resolution Actions
- Resolve to stay alert to dangerous weather!
- Make sure Wireless Emergency Alerts are enabled on your mobile phone. These alerts can save your life!
- If you haven’t turned them off, great! You’re already weather-ready!
- If you know you turned them off in the past or aren’t sure, go into your phone’s settings and check your notifications to make sure these alerts are turned on.
If you have a Wireless Emergency Alert (WEA)-capable phone and your wireless carrier participates in the program. For information about which mobile devices are WEA-capable and carrier participation, please visit http://www.ctia.org/wea or contact your wireless carrier.
Here is a list of participating carrier websites. If your provider is not listed, it is likely working to make the alerts available for its customers soon.
- AT&T Wireless Emergency Alerts Information
- Bluegrass Cellular Wireless Emergency Alerts Information
- Cellcom WEA Page
- Cricket Wireless Emergency Alerts Information
- Sprint Wireless Emergency Alerts Information
- T-Mobile USA Wireless Emergency Alerts Information
- U.S. Cellular Wireless Emergency Alerts
- Verizon Wireless Wireless Emergency Alerts Information
Seniors and the Disabled
Weather Ready Nation – Wireless Alerts: The purpose of NOAA’s Weather-Ready Nation initiative is first and foremost to save lives and protect livelihoods by providing useful, relevant, actionable information to partners and the American public. www.weather.gov/wirelessalerts
Video – Wireless Emergency Alerts:
A 30-Second Broadcast Public Service Announcement about Wireless Emergency Alerts (WEAs) brought to you by the Ready Campaign and the Ad Council. WEAs are emergency messages sent by local authorized government authorities through wireless carriers’ networks. The alerts include a unique sound and vibration, are no more than 90 characters, and instruct specific actions individuals should take. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wDpcGypv2_U
Also in Spanish (Espanol): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iqmf0gR_JR8